Top 10 Web Design Mistakes
There are millions of websites on the Internet, with thousands upon thousands new websites launched every day. So what web design mistakes do we see small business owners in Plano and Frisco make?
If truth be told, there are hundreds of mistakes made by small businesses when building a website, so we’ve decided to list only the top 10 from our perspective.
- The user must know what the site is about in seconds: If a visitor cannot figure what your site is about in a couple of seconds, he will quickly go somewhere else . Your site must communicate why I should spend my time there, and FAST!
- The content must be scannable: This is the Internet, not a book, so forget large blocks of text. Rather, use bullet points, headers, sub-headers and lists – anything that will help the reader quickly filter what he is looking for.
- Do not use tiny fonts: You want to make sure that readers are comfortable reading your content.
- Do not use FLASH: Apart from increasing the load time of your website, excessive usage of Flash is annoying to visitors. Use it only if you must offer features that are not supported by static pages.
- Do not play music: In the early years of the Internet web developers tried to successfully integrate music into websites. Guess what, they failed miserably. Do not use music, period.
- Search Engine Friendly: While having a search engine friendly site won’t guarantee you high rankings on your favorite search engine, there’s no excuse for not having done the basics. These include having a site map, concise and relevant content, use of standard mark-up tags that are recognised by search engines as well as meta tags such as keywords and a description.
- Poor navigation: Navigating through your site should be intuitive. This means that the site navigation should be organized and presented in a manner consistent with accepted web navigation conventions. Stick to standard techniques and standard locations for navigation elements such as links and menus. Links should look like links. It should be easy for a visitor to find the “home” and “contact us” links.
- Make sure to include Contact details: There is nothing worse than a website that has no contact information. This is not bad only for the visitors, but Google will notice this and you’ll be penalized!
- Avoid complex URL structures: A simple, keyword-based URL structure will not only improve your search engine rankings, but it will also make it easier for the reader to identify the content of your pages before visiting them.
- To many meaningless graphics: The graphics on your site should enhance the user experience. This needs to be kept in balance – enough to ensure that the site is attractive and functional, but not enough to create clutter and slow down the user experience. Site graphics need to be optimised to ensure that the site is displayed at a respectable speed.
North Texas Web Design is an award winning and professional web design firm specializing in small and medium businesses. If you’re looking for a Plano Web Designer, look no further – give us a call at 214-534-6830. We’re happy to talk to you about your web needs and will most certainly avoid the mistakes mentioned above.