Does your website need a do-over?
Many clients who contact North Texas Web Design for a re-do of their website do so because of several reasons. The top three reasons are:
- They’re current website is NOT getting the traffic they want
- They’re current website looks OLD compared to many other websites they normally look at
- They’re website simply does NOT project the image they want for their business
Listed below are the most common issues we normally see when discussing a website do-over with a new client :
- The website is several years old
- The website is very narrow in width – always a good indicator of age
- The website is not coded using current W3C standards
- The website was coded using Microsoft Front Page – OUCH!
- The website was built using one the many “templates” advertised on television, which almost always are missing key meta instructions important for Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- The website is missing necessary and very important elements which make a website conform to the latest W3C standards … to include elements very important for Search Engine Optimization
- The website contains annoying visual elements, to include too much Flash, goofy image animations, automatic audio that cannot be turned off, inappropriate font sizes and/or colors that don’t work with the website … just to list a few
- Website navigation is confusing and not at all intuitive for the average user
- The website has poorly written content and does not conform to standards established by the W3C (and more importantly, considered key by Google)
- Any combination of the above
While North Texas Web Design will gladly discuss options to upgrade code to be more current and compliant with W3C standards, more often than not, we find it easier and far less expensive for our client to scratch the old code and just start over.
Whether looking to upgrade the code on your existing website or simply to start over, there are several key important things to consider when evaluating website design.
Understanding the main purpose of a website
In order to build an effective website, you must first understand the business or organization’s needs. Listed below are just a few of the more important questions you should consider:
- Are you trying to build a brand?
- Are you trying to sell a product over the web?
- Is your main goal simply advertising?
- Are you attempting to earn affiliate commissions for sales or leads
- Is your main objective to provide customer service or support
Create an Attractive Website
Why should a website look attractive? Why should it look professional? Your website is a reflection of you and your business. You might compare it to a sign over your store in a mall. If the lettering is crude or homemade looking, this is projected to your visitors. North Texas Web Design works hard to achieve a clean, attractive and professional web design for all our clients.
Create a Search Engine Friendly Website
There are several key rules to building an effective website that search engines love to visit and index. Every page on your website should be optimized for the web, not just the Home page. Listed below are the key guidelines followed by North Texas Web Design.
- Unique title for each page
- Meta tag description limited to no more than 250 words
- Effective use of H1 – H6 tags
- A quick and effective Call to Action on the Home page
- Effective use of keywords and keyword phrases that are aligned with the text in the body of each page.
If you are looking to build a new website, or your existing website is in dire need of a “new coat of paint”, we invite you to consider North Texas Web Design.